This is a refreshing recipe for a shrimp appetizer or a summer salad. Marinate for the full 48 hours for the best taste.
- 7 cups water
- 3 lbs unpeeled large raw shrimp
- 2 small red onions, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1-2 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1. Bring 7 1/2 cups water to a rolling boil. Add the shrimp, and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Do not overcook. Drain and rinse with cold water. Ice the shrimp to cool, then peel and if desired, devein.
2. Layer the shrimp, red onion slices and bell pepper slices in an airtight container.
3. Whisk together vegetable oil and next 9 ingredients; pour over shrimp. Cover and chill 48 hours, stirring occasionally.
4. Stir in 1/2 cup chopped basil 1 hour before serving.