- 1/2 cup Major Grey's chutney
- 2/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
Dressing may be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.
Bring dressing to room temperature before using.
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander seeds
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- a 1 inch piece fresh ginger root, peeled and chopped
- 2 fresh serrano or jalapeno chilies, seeded and chopped (wear rubber gloves)
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
Cool spices and stir in remaining marinade ingredients and salt and pepper to taste.
- 2 pounds medium shrimp (about 50), shelled and deveined
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil for frying
- 6 cups packed tender watercress sprigs, washed well and spun dry.
- 3 red bell peppers, cut into julienne strips
- 2 firm-ripe mangoes, peeled and cut into julienne strips
Marinate shrimp at room temperature 15 minutes.
Alternatively, shrimp may be marinated, covered and chilled up to 1 day.
In a large non-stick skillet heat oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and saute shrimp in batches, turning once, until golden and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes.
Transfer shrimp as sauteed with tongs to paper towels to drain and cool slightly.
In a large bowl gently toss together shrimp , watercress, coriander sprigs, bell peppers, mangoes, and dressing.